Serendipity and Otomata

Some days I loathe the internet and some days I love it. Today I am in love.

I’d intended to post about my weekend in Rift and catch you all up on my Mage’s life after 50 and my Rogue, Warrior, and Cleric alts (well I’d already rolled them and since they all had River of Souls goodies bags waiting the the mail…). That will have to wait until tomorrow though, because I ran across something cool I wanted to share.

I was catching up on my RSS feeds before writing this evening’s post and saw a mention of something called Otomata in today’s Real Life comic. Batuhan Bozkurt described his work as “a generative sequencer that uses cellular automation logic to generate sound events”.

I’m enough of a programmer to think that’s pretty cool but only half understand what he’s talking about. Regardless, it’s very cool and entertaining as well as impressive how musical even the most random starting states are. If you come up with any cool pieces leave me a link in the comments. Here’s a simple one I did.

12 Comments

1. YeeboNo Gravatar says:

Hell to the yes!!!

Brilliant, going straight to facebook with this. Great find 🙂

2. YeeboNo Gravatar says:

I think this one turned out really well, couldn’t resist posting it 🙂

3. TeshNo Gravatar says:

Thanks for mentioning this! It’s a great tool… and maybe one I’ll even find a good use or three for. I do love the intersection between art and the sciences. 🙂

• TeshNo Gravatar says:

…and if he winds up putting tempo control and even other instruments into the mix… oh, the fun we’ll have.

• BrianNo Gravatar says:

There’s definitely a lot of room for expansion. I’d like to see delays added, where you start off with an initial pattern and then set it up to drop in additional blocks at timed intervals.

• TeshNo Gravatar says:

Agreed, that would be great. You can fake that a bit by making two files and splicing them together, but that could get messy.

4. […] then there’s music.  BlueKae tipped me off to this curious little tool, and I’ve been thinking about ways to use […]